Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Trying Out My Martha Stewart...

I LOVE pickles.  I have been reading about making naturally fermented foods and how they are good for your digestive tract because of the natural probiotics in them.  I decided to make my own fermented pickles, so that I could have "healthy" pickles.  I found a recipe, and I put these cucumbers  in jars and a salt water broth over them.  I set them on the counter for 4 days to ferment.  The recipe said that you should keep them on the counter for as little as 3 days or as many days as you want until you get the taste you want.  After 4 days, I tried them and they weren't too bad, so I decided they were done and I put them in the refrigerator.  The next day Miren and I were anxious to have one and They      Tasted      Terrible.  Ick!  Somewhere between sitting on the counter and becoming cold in the refrigerator they started to taste like feet.  Oh well!  By the way, that was at least a week ago and though I have decided I am not eating that ick, they are still in the refrigerator because I can't bare to throw them away after wanting to make them for so long and putting the work into them.

 Here is my warm weather garden.  I have tomatoes. 

 Cucumbers

 More tomatoes

 Very pathetic sugar snap peas

golden zucchini, basil (that seems to have 9 lives), and oregano.  My garden at best is marginally successful.  Our yard doesn't have enough sun....  But I still love watching my plants grow.  I am in awe of the process from the little seeds to big beautiful plants and fruit on them.  Martha Stewart- I am not, but I love trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment