Friday, July 26, 2013

Thoughts on the many gifts God has given me...

I am cleaning church today, which always gives me lots of time to think.  I am feeling kind of sad and lonely today.  My sister and her kids have been here for  2 1/2 weeks and are leaving soon.  It is easy to let myself slump into a feeling of loneliness over living so far from my sister and parents.  I even let myself feel a little sorry for myself over my "plight."  However, this summer I have been reading the book,One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are and doing the Bible study with ladies from church.  In the book, the author makes a point that if we say, as Christians, that everything we receive is a gift from God then why do we complain when these gifts end or are taken away.  Instead we should be thankful and rejoice in the gift we were given for the time we were given it.  Being able to spend so much time with Sarah, Sophie, Lucy, and Oliver has been truly an unexpected gift that I am so thankful for.  The loneliness I feel is also a gift because it is a reminder of the gift of family, friendship, and companionship.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rebekah! My vacation is coming to an end soon too, and I think I needed to read this today. Maybe when your family is gone and I'm gone from mine, we can get together and eat brownies - and be thankful for the gifts of chocolate and friends.

    ReplyDelete